Thursday, 1 May 2025

Payment Queue




Its early in the morning at the neighborhood supermarket where only three customers have made their way into the shop. Quite a contrast from the busy hours later in the day and in the evening when the outlet would be buzzing with many shoppers.

The store normally has 6 checkout counters but only one of them is open at this early hour. The first customer finishes his purchase, makes his way to the counter and prepares to bill and pay. He's around 75 years old, walks in slow, short strides and leans slightly onto the counter frame to support himself. I feel I might have seen him around the area - he's the retired banker who also ventured into selling life insurance products a few years back. Yes, I have definitely seen him around. Perhaps even talked to him about some insurance needs a while back.

Next to him in the line is a young boy, probably around 12 years old, and just as I finish picking up what I want, I line up behind the boy and complete the queue. The boy is also familiar, seems like a resident in my apartment society. Bespectacled and beaming with energy, he says to me "Good morning uncle"! I wish him back with a smile and make small talk about how his school holidays are progressing.

Meanwhile ex-banker has been billed for 129 Rupees and even as the counter clerk asks him "UPI Scanner Sir?", he whisks out a crisp 500 Rupee note and says proudly, "No, I have cash. Give me change". A minor but familiar argument ensues about how the store clerk is expected to have change first thing in the morning while the ex-banker insists on paying with cash and does not miss the opportunity to remind everyone that he has been shopping in this store for over 20 years.

Energy boy looks at me and rolls his eyes as if to say, "Gosh these old people are so annoying". When the kid's turn to pay arrives, he nonchalantly points his smart watch at the QR code and looks at me as if to say "This is the way Generation Alpha does it, bro". 

Its my turn to roll eyes but I hold back. I just offer an admiring smile wanting desperately to say "Your watch will save the world, lad".

Just then the store clerk gives out a frustrated sigh. The smartwatch payment has somehow not worked out and there seems to be a network issue. The clerk brings in another payment machine and Junior Einstein does his smartwatch swipe again, only to find it facing a similar fate as the first attempt.

Now the store manager gets involved and tries to resolve the issue. He looks down the queue and asks me how I will be paying and I tell him "UPI" with so much pride that it seemed like I wanted an award for paying digitally. He gives me a smirk filled with anguish, and all of a sudden, the 75-year old ex-banker seems to have made the best payment option choice on this intriguing morning. Uncle is probably already at home sitting on his easy chair sipping chai, while Young Sheldon and I are grappling with technological challenges during our morning shopping routine.

By now another four customers join the line and it gradually evolves into payment pandemonium, but thankfully it all gets resolved very quickly after that. I imagine that someone on some cloud reset the internet switch and everything was working again. 

The Techno whiz kid completes his payment and so do I. As we exit the store I ask the young chap why he was coming to a store when he could order online instead. "Isn't that what Generation Alpha prefers?"

"My mother wanted me to get some exercise", he says cheekily and with a wink, "so I am earning my TV and gaming hours for the day by doing some errands for her".

Smart watches making them smart kids ? Only time will tell.
May 2025

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rajiv,

    Only you could turn a quiet supermarket checkout queue into a stage worthy of Seinfeld-meets-Satyajit Ray🤣 Your “Payment Queue” piece had me chuckling like the good old days..don't get to laugh or smile these days, thanks for that change on my facial expression🙏

    The cast was perfect, a retired titan of cash transactions refusing to trust anything that beeps, a 12-year-old "fintech warrior" armed with a smartwatch and zero patience, and you, our eternally optimistic UPI enthusiast—caught in a payment *purgatory where networks go to die.

    Your punchline was gold, the kid’s "My mother wanted me to get some exercise" was the cardio twist no one saw coming. Brilliant👏👏👏

    Your observational wit is sharper than the corner of a plastic grocery bag🙂, and as always, your writing makes mundane day for guys like me feel like a modern day epic.🙂

    Encore, cousin. Encore.

    Warmly,
    Ashok ettan

    ReplyDelete

Headhunters

  One Sunday morning, while I was in the midst of solving my favourite crossword, I was asked, “Where is your head?” The voice was my wife’s...